Software Engineer – Glasgow
About this Software Engineer role:
The role will require a creative, driven and enthusiastic embedded software engineer to join our team to assist in the development, testing and deployment of our satellite technology, ensuring delivery of projects to cost, quality, safety and time parameters.
- Contributes to the business by effectively performing structured work assignments and to support problem-solving for non-routine issues
- Deliver work tasks and assignments in accordance to required standards and compliance requirements
- Developing and testing software to run on the various embedded computers distributed throughout our satellites
- Deployment and characterisation of these systems
- Creation of tooling to automate and streamline the production and testing of our embedded systems
- Improving and maintaining existing technology
- Support business development activities by collaborating with potential clients to elicit technical requirements and assess feasibility for proposals
- Generation of non-conformance reports (NCRs) and Engineering Change Notes (ECNs)
- Support the engineering teams as required
- Degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience
- Evident industry experience of applying software engineering to products and applications
- Must be a fluent C programmer with demonstrable experience in developing high-quality software for embedded systems and able to review code to a high standard
- Comprehensive understanding of the challenges of embedded real-time development and architecture
- Strong familiarity with the Linux command line and GNU toolchain (make, gcc etc.)
- Comfortable developing tools in Python to assist with the testing and deployment of embedded systems.
- Working with other developers using modern version control methodologies such as Git flow
- Can work independently as well as ability to effectively collaborate within cross cultural teams to deliver work packages, within time, within budget and to required quality standards
- Uses initiative and works towards finding solutions
- Ability to organise self and prioritise workload in dynamic environment and with tight deadlines
- Competent in Microsoft Office and other relevant IT skills
- Proficient in English, both verbally and written.
- Programming embedded systems such as microcontrollers at the bare metal level and/or with embedded Linux and RTOSes such as FreeRTOS, RTEMS etc.
- Bash scripting on Linux
- Background in working to industry standards such as MISCRA-C
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space’s main operations are located in Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the USA and South Africa, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
Data Protection Policy
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
Right to Work
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU or the country in which they plan to work. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in that country before you start work.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We aim to create a positive recruitment and selection experience across every part of our business. The company is committed to handling applications to a consistently high standard and all candidates with dignity and respect. Those involved in the recruitment and selection process will act with integrity, objectivity and professionalism. We are committed to equal opportunities for all and to have diversity reflected within our global workforce. We believe its diversity and inclusion will allow for greater creativity and innovation to help AAC Clyde Space Group deliver the vision to help improve life on earth.
Openness to Flexible Working
We recognise work-life balance is important so we are open to discussions around flexible working, depending on the nature of the role and business needs. If you would like to know more, please ask the Hiring Manager during any recruitment process that you may be involved in.
Apply for this role
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox
"*" indicates required fields