Mechanical Engineer – Glasgow
About this role
The Mechanical Engineer will be involved in the design, analysis and development of small satellites. They will support structural and thermal analysis, mechanical environmental testing, create mechanical drawings and interface with suppliers and customers. They will be working in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, collaborating with Electrical, Systems, Software, and Test teams on a variety of interesting applications. We are looking for someone who takes a proactive approach to problem solving, who enjoys taking ownership of issues and is happy to disseminate their learning to others.
We are committed to continuous development – training will be coupled with a development plan to ensure employees are getting the support they require to grow in their tole. Team culture is important to us and we value people who contribute towards a positive working environment, who are happy working collaboratively or independently when required.
Responsibilities will include:
- Design of mechanical components such as spacecraft structures and deployable systems.
- Design of solar panels, including electrical
- Structural and thermal analysis of subsystems and
- Producing manufacturing drawings for suppliers and manufacturing instructions for in-house assembly.
- Interaction with supply chain to source components at appropriate cost, timescale and quality.
- Support to manufacturing, integration and
- BEng(Hons) or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering or related subject, or equivalent experience.
- Some Industry Experience
- Experience in using CAD systems, preferably
- Solid understanding of structural and thermal design and analysis principles, and practical experience of performing such analysis.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and interpersonal
- Able to manage time, work within a team and work autonomously when
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and progress several projects in
- Ability to work flexibly and apply oneself to problems outside of core competencies as required by a small, fast-growing organisation.
- Experience in spacecraft
- Electrical engineering qualifications and/or
- Understanding of PCB design and manufacturing
- Fluent in a second language would be an
- Experience of working in the space/aerospace/defence
- Practical skills in fabricating and modifying mechanical parts (hand tools, mill, lathe).
- Working knowledge of ECSS standards and experience of ESA
- Vibration and/or shock testing experience
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space Group consists of the parent company AAC Clyde Space AB (publ) and subsidiaries in Sweden, the UK, the Netherlands, South Africa and the USA. Our main operations are in these five countries, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
AAC Clyde Space’s share is traded on the Nasdaq First North Premier Growth Market.
Data Protection Policy
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
Right to Work
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU or the country in which they plan to work. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in that country before you start work.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We aim to create a positive recruitment and selection experience across every part of our business. The company is committed to handling applications to a consistently high standard and all candidates with dignity and respect. Those involved in the recruitment and selection process will act with integrity, objectivity and professionalism. We are committed to equal opportunities for all and to have diversity reflected within our global workforce. We believe its diversity and inclusion will allow for greater creativity and innovation to help AAC Clyde Space Group deliver the vision to help improve life on earth.
Openness to Flexible Working
We recognise work-life balance is important so we are open to discussions around flexible working, depending on the nature of the role and business needs. If you would like to know more, please ask the Hiring Manager during any recruitment process that you may be involved in.
Apply for this role
"*" indicates required fields
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox
"*" indicates required fields