Embedded Software Engineer – Glasgow
About this Embedded Software Engineer role:
We are looking for a full-time, experienced embedded software developer with good insights in product development to join our Glasgow team in the U.K.
As we expand our platform’s capabilities at AAC Clyde Space, we are looking for creative, driven, and enthusiastic embedded software engineers to join our team to assist in developing, testing, and deploying our world-class satellite technology.
You will be expected to work on projects of different sizes in cooperation with our other subsidiaries, ensuring delivery of projects to cost, quality, safety and time parameters. We work with different challenges from drivers to encrypted communications.
The role will involve occasional travel to support other sites.
- Contributes to the business by supporting Software Architects and System Engineers to scope work and specify requirements
- Deliver work tasks and assignments in accordance to required standards and compliance requirements
- Designing, Developing, debugging and Testing Software for embedded computers on satellites.
- Scripting for automation and testing
- Developing and maintaining tooling for automation of production and testing embedded products.
- Supporting other engineering teams as required
- Degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience
- Evident industry experience of applying software engineering to products and applications
- Must be a fluent C programmer with demonstrable experience in developing high-quality software for embedded systems and able to review code to a high standard
- Comprehensive understanding of the challenges of embedded real-time development and architecture
- Strong familiarity with the Linux command line and GNU toolchain (make, gcc etc.)
- Comfortable developing tools in Python to assist with the testing and deployment of embedded systems.
- Working with other developers using modern version control methodologies such as Git flow
- Can work independently as well as ability to effectively collaborate within cross cultural teams to deliver work packages, within time, within budget and to required quality standards
- Uses initiative and works towards finding solutions
- Ability to organise self and prioritise workload in dynamic environment and with tight deadlines
- Competent in Microsoft Office and other relevant IT skills
- Proficient in English, both verbally and written.
- Experience of coaching and mentoring junior team members
- Knowledge of environmental testing and ESA standards
- Using Python and Bash for scripting and tooling
- Familiarity with Agile and SCRUM
- Experience with control systems, deploying and troubleshooting algorithms on hardware
- Familiarity with CI/CD in complex embedded systems
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space’s main operations are located in Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the USA and South Africa, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
Data Protection Policy
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
Right to Work
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU or the country in which they plan to work. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in that country before you start work.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We aim to create a positive recruitment and selection experience across every part of our business. The company is committed to handling applications to a consistently high standard and all candidates with dignity and respect. Those involved in the recruitment and selection process will act with integrity, objectivity and professionalism. We are committed to equal opportunities for all and to have diversity reflected within our global workforce. We believe its diversity and inclusion will allow for greater creativity and innovation to help AAC Clyde Space Group deliver the vision to help improve life on earth.
Openness to Flexible Working
We recognise work-life balance is important so we are open to discussions around flexible working, depending on the nature of the role and business needs. If you would like to know more, please ask the Hiring Manager during any recruitment process that you may be involved in.
Apply for this role
"*" indicates required fields
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox
"*" indicates required fields