Senior AOCS Engineer – Glasgow
About AAC Clyde Space
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, Swedish National Space Agency, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space’s main operations are located in Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the USA and South Africa, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
About this role:
The purpose of the role is to provide mission analysis and design for attitude and orbital control sub-systems (AOCS) and algorithms for small satellite missions to cost, quality, safety, and time parameters. The role will also provide technical leadership and share expertise with the rest of the team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the design, modelling, implementation, and testing of attitude and orbit control systems for nano and small satellite applications, including sensor and actuator selection and test.
- Work with the Software Engineering team to transition algorithm designs to functional code, then validate implementation against models.
- Work with Systems Engineering to define technical requirements and to define mission analysis and AOCS scenarios for analysis.
- Provide technical input to direct and inform company technical/commercial strategy and new product development.
- Lead commissioning activities for newly delivered spacecraft, including direct communication with the client’s team.
- Support business development activities by collaborating with potential clients to elicit technical requirements and assess feasibility for proposals.
- Provide technical guidance to other engineers and build upon the design and test processes used within the team.
- Relevant Degree qualification or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge and technical experience of attitude estimation & control and mission analysis theory and practice.
- Evidences good knowledge of satellite and orbital control system simulation.
- Good understanding of space mission and platform requirements, design and operation.
- Good understanding of space hardware and software design and test.
- Knowledge of engineering theory and practice beyond the engineer’s specialisation and awareness of the impact this will have on their specialisation.
- Awareness of the market, including present and upcoming customer needs or opportunities.
- Basic supplier management expertise with the ability to communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Competent IT skills including and with Microsoft software, Matlab and Simulink
- Experience with Python and Embedded C.
- Experience developing and/or testing flight software.
- Experience in troubleshooting hardware and software AOCS issues, including on orbit investigation.
- Experience working specifically with CubeSats.
- A knowledge or awareness of ESA ECSS standards (or equivalent international standards).
- Experience of managing teams in dynamic environments.
Why AAC Clyde Space
- A unique opportunity to become a part of shaping and growing one of the world leading companies in the fast-growing space industry
- Join, lead and develop a very highly skilled team of colleagues
- We are working on a daily basis to ensure that space technology works to the benefit of the Earth and space environment
This position is available to fill immediately, so applicants are encouraged to reply promptly with CV and covering letter.
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
For further information please contact our Talent Acquisition team by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this role
"*" indicates required fields
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox
"*" indicates required fields