Principal Mechanical Engineer – Glasgow
Job Title: Principal Mechanical Engineer
Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
About AAC Clyde Space
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space’s main operations are located in Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the USA and South Africa, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
About this role:
The Principal Engineer (Mechanical) is responsible for defining, leading and executing technical development activities and providing technical guidance and support to engineering within the company, ensuring technical requirements, cost, quality, safety and time parameters are met. This includes ensuring developments and projects are, where appropriate, aligned to the technology strategy of the business across all phases of the project lifecycle.
The Principal Engineer also provides support on technical strategic matters to the Chief Engineer, CTO, CEO and other business groups as required by the business
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a continuous improvement methodology within the company and nurture a supporting culture
- Provide input on task estimates to Engineering, Project Management and Sales/Business Development teams
- Support the Engineering team to ensure they adhere to the company Quality Management System and any additional quality processes mandated by the customer
- Support the Chief Engineer and CTO to deliver the technical aspects of the strategic plan
- Provide domain technical leadership to Engineering team to ensure a high level of performance. Provide engineering expertise and mentoring to junior engineers
- Provide expertise and assistance in troubleshooting of key engineering problems including Non-Conformance Review Boards
- Ensure appropriate level of technical focus is given to engineering tasks
- Provide technical leadership to all relevant groups
- Ensure strong communication between direct reports and all key stakeholders
- Identify and propose technologies and developments to support and improve products in line with the business strategy
- Ensure technical/engineering compliance to technical roadmaps and customer specifications
- Interpret the technical requirements of customer specifications and ensure these are used as an effective input to technical roadmaps
- Ensure the technical content of customer specifications and drawings are understood within Engineering team
- Ensure quality and delivery gives rise to repeat business
- Support the Business Development Group with technical support as appropriate
- Technical degree to BEng level or comparable recognised qualification
- Extensive experience in development and manufacture of complex systems in the space industry
- Experience of design and manufacturing processes and quality standards in the space industry
- Proven track record of technical and product development
- Proven track record of strategic thinking and collaborative working
- Ability to manage and motivate team members
- Excellent communication skills and ability to engage with key stakeholders at all relevant levels
- Ability to think critically, analytically and innovatively
- Ability to interpret detailed technical requirements and liaise effectively with engineering teams
- Ability to explain complex technical issues to senior management and the associated potential commercial impacts
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU or the country in which they plan to work. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in that country before you start work. AAC Clyde Space are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.
Please note that if you have not heard anything from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, your application has on this occasion been unsuccessful. You will be sent an email by our recruitment team acknowledging receipt of your application and we would welcome that you follow up with them for feedback.
Apply for this role
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox