Ground Segment Software Engineer – Glasgow
About this role:
The role is to carry out software development to automate aspects of spacecraft operations. You will directly contribute to the development and maintenance of satellite operations automation in line with cost, quality, safety, and time requirements. You will be key to expanding the capability towards operating constellations of satellites and customer data delivery services.
The role will require occasional ad-hoc out of hours working to resolve live issues, and rota-based on-call support during the week and on weekends.
- Contributes to the business by supporting high level design and architecture of ground systems
- Deliver work tasks and assignments in accordance to required standards and compliance requirements
- Design and implement new application features
- Investigate and solve technical issues with the wider engineering team
- Write and maintain automated tests
- Develop and maintain continuous improvement processes
- Deploy applications using Docker on Linux
- Support business development activities by collaborating with potential clients to elicit technical requirements and assess feasibility for proposals
- Support the engineering teams as required
- Degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience
- Evident industry experience working as a software engineer
- Strong python programming skills
- Understanding the challenges of embedded real-time development and architecture
- Understanding of DevOps practices
- Understanding of Agile software development practices
- Proven track record of developing, testing, debugging and deploying software services
- Ability to work as part of a team to deliver work packages, within time, within budget and to required quality standards
- Demonstrates ownership of problems and works towards finding solutions
- Ability to make good technical decisions under highly demanding, dynamic environment
- Proficient user of Git, Linux, and Docker
- Proficient in English, both verbally and written
- Competent in Microsoft Office and other relevant IT skills
- Experience working with Python web frameworks such as Django and Flask
- Experience implementing transfer protocols
- Experience developing tools to support operation of spacecraft, ground station or other communication systems
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space’s main operations are located in Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the USA and South Africa, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
Data Protection Policy
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
Right to Work
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU or the country in which they plan to work. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in that country before you start work.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We aim to create a positive recruitment and selection experience across every part of our business. The company is committed to handling applications to a consistently high standard and all candidates with dignity and respect. Those involved in the recruitment and selection process will act with integrity, objectivity and professionalism. We are committed to equal opportunities for all and to have diversity reflected within our global workforce. We believe its diversity and inclusion will allow for greater creativity and innovation to help AAC Clyde Space Group deliver the vision to help improve life on earth.
Openness to Flexible Working
We recognise work-life balance is important so we are open to discussions around flexible working, depending on the nature of the role and business needs. If you would like to know more, please ask the Hiring Manager during any recruitment process that you may be involved in.
Apply for this role
"*" indicates required fields
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox
"*" indicates required fields