FPGA Engineer – South Africa
About this FPGA Engineer role:
AAC Clyde Space is looking for a creative, driven and enthusiastic engineer to join our team to assist in the development, testing and deployment of our world-class RF communication systems for satellites and associated ground systems.
This is a full-time position at our AAC Space Africa site in Durbanville, Cape Town.
- FPGA design and coding in a hardware description language and embedded software for Multi-Processor System-on-Chip (MPSoC) devices
- System engineering of communication subsystems using SDR and DSP techniques
- Produce technical documentation such as specifications, test procedures and design reports
- Analyse designs for errors and efficiency
- Generate test benches and perform functional testing to validate designs
- Participate in code reviews by recommending improvements
- Collaborate with other engineers on technical and design issues
- Relevant degree or equivalent work experience
- Proven track record in industry with FPGA design including design lifecycle, Vivado/Libero/ModelSim design tool flow and FPGA design for network applications
- Proficiency with VHDL and Tcl scripting language
- Ability to transition between hardware languages and abstraction layers on an as needed basis and demonstrate excellence throughout
- Proficient as a C programmer with experience in developing embedded systems.
- Proficiency in developing tools in Python to assist with the testing and deployment of embedded systems
- Working with other developers using modern version control systems such as Git.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to liaise with stakeholders, suppliers and customers
- Can work independently as well as ability to effectively collaborate within cross cultural teams
- Ability to organise self and prioritise workload in dynamic environment with tight deadlines
- Experience with Verilog and SystemVerilog beneficial.
- Development of digital radio transmitters and receivers in Software Defined Radio architectures
- Application of DSP techniques in SDR-based communication systems
- Proficiency in the use of Matlab to simulate discrete time systems
- Familiarity with high-speed serial interfaces such as LVDS, JESD204B
- Familiarity with Secure IP and experience evaluating vendor IP cores
- Experience working with GNU Linux based development environment and virtual machines
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
AAC Clyde Space, a leading New Space company, specialises in small satellite technologies and services that enable businesses, governments, and educational organisations to access high-quality, timely data from space. This data has a vast range of applications, from weather forecasting to precision farming to environmental monitoring, and is essential to improving our quality of life on Earth.
Our growing capabilities bring together three divisions:
- Space Data as a Service – delivering data from space directly to customers
- Space missions – turnkey solutions that empower customers to streamline their space missions
- Space products and components – a full range of off-the-shelf and tailor-made subsystems, components, and sensors
AAC Clyde Space aims to become a world leader in commercial small satellites and services from space, applying advances in its technology to tackle global challenges and improve our life on Earth.
Some of our clients include Horizon Technologies, Orbcomm, NSLComm, OHB Sweden, Intuitive Machines, Orbital Micro Systems, the United States Airforce Academy, UK Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA.
AAC Clyde Space’s main operations are located in Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the USA and South Africa, with partner networks in Japan and South Korea.
Data Protection Policy
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click here to see our job applicant privacy notice.
Right to Work
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU or the country in which they plan to work. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in that country before you start work.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We aim to create a positive recruitment and selection experience across every part of our business. The company is committed to handling applications to a consistently high standard and all candidates with dignity and respect. Those involved in the recruitment and selection process will act with integrity, objectivity and professionalism. We are committed to equal opportunities for all and to have diversity reflected within our global workforce. We believe its diversity and inclusion will allow for greater creativity and innovation to help AAC Clyde Space Group deliver the vision to help improve life on earth.
Openness to Flexible Working
We recognise work-life balance is important so we are open to discussions around flexible working, depending on the nature of the role and business needs. If you would like to know more, please ask the Hiring Manager during any recruitment process that you may be involved in.
Apply for this role
"*" indicates required fields
Sign up to our newsletters for the latest news, projects and more delivered straight to your inbox
"*" indicates required fields