Experienced Space Systems & Operations Engineer
An Experienced Space Systems & Operations Engineer is required for a full-time position to work for one of the UK’s most innovative companies, a world leader in small & miniature satellite turnkey services.
In 2018, AAC Clyde Space launched its Spacecraft Operations services and started operating Seahawk‑1 and Davinci satellites. To support the rapidly growing customer demand, the company is looking to expand its Spacecraft Operations team. This is a unique opportunity for anyone aiming at pursuing a career in the space industry with the ambition to leave a mark.
As Space Systems & Operations Engineer, your mission will be to ensure the Operation Centre capability develops to support new missions. This involves supporting the design of mission-specific ground segment, preparing the operation plan, procedures & tools and leading pre-launch and in-orbit operation phases.
With your previous work experience, you will contribute to streamlining the various processes in place and to specifying and/or developing specific software tools to support & optimize the Operation Services.
You will be trained to use AAC Clyde Space Operations Centre and in particular our dedicated Mission Control Software suite. With your systems engineering background, you will be able to analyse the mission data yourself and build a comprehensive knowledge of how the spacecraft subsystems behave in space. You will also be expected to design specific tests (for the commissioning phase for instance) or to manage anomaly investigations and resolutions.
Eventually you would be responsible for leading the operations of commercial satellites / services.
You will be working in close collaboration with the Spacecraft Operations / Mission Analysis / Platform design teams, sharing experience, developing the Operations capability and working towards mission objectives.
You are a quick learner and enthusiastic problem-solver with a systems mindset, you are flexible, able to work under pressure and to take ownership of work packages. You are also comfortable with new software and able to adapt while respecting quality assurance processes and keeping a high level of communication. Then please reply promptly as this position is available to fill immediately.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage communications (TMTC) and housekeeping routines with AAC Clyde Space operated spacecraft (includes out of hours work when required)
- Interact with customers while preparing flight plans and reporting on the health and main activities of their spacecraft regularly
- Specify ground segment design, interfaces, test plans and rehearse operations for validation
- Work with experienced engineers to analyse satellite data, provide health trends and to investigate in-orbit anomalies
- Take ownership of any arising issue and propose/implement short and long term solutions
- Prepare and lead spacecraft in-orbit commissioning phase and other specific test campaigns
- Actively contribute to design / process improvements
- Build documentation and processes for the Operation Centre and for external missions (edition of procedures, user manuals, training materials, architecture charts, ICDs…)
- MEng degree in relevant engineering discipline (Systems/Electronics/Mechanical)
- Practical work experience in a similar environment and/or industry
- Ability to effectively diagnose and debug problems with existing or new software
- Able to communicate effectively and pro-actively within the team, with high level of integrity
- Excellent team worker (task collaboration) with the ability to work autonomously
- Able to work under pressure; resilience to adapt in a changing environment
- Technical report and procedure writing to a high standard
Desirables (any of):
- Knowledge of space mission analysis, RF principles and satellite design
- Experience of programming
- Experience of RF engineering