Lead Engineer Opto-Mechanical Design - Delft, The Netherlands
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
AAC Clyde Space AB offers a full turnkey space mission service from design to on-orbit operations including reliable satellite platforms; customizable to suit our customers’ requirements. Our end-to-end service package enables our customers to reach their mission goals with a single, trusted point of contact. In addition, we supply a full range of subsystems for small satellites. The group employs more than 150 staff located in five sites in Uppsala (SE), Glasgow (UK), Delft (NL), Fairfax (US), and Gothenburg (SE).
We are expanding our engineering team in Delft and are recruiting a Lead Engineer for Optomechanical Design. Our ideal candidate has worked on various optomechanical designs, has been responsible for the design and delivery (AIT) of complete and complex optomechanical designs. Preferably you have knowledge on laser communication and/or experience on space instrumentation. Next to having deep insight in the optomechanical design, you have an overview of other engineering disciplines like electronics, software, materials and (thermal) control. By combining the system level overview and being able take responsibility for the detailed design and AIT of optomechanical products, you are capable of developing complete systems from conception of idea up to and including the implementation.
You will become a part of a listed and leading company in the New space industry, with an aim of continuing expansion.
University degree (MSc of PhD) in a relevant engineering discipline, like Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or Electro-Mechanics.
Credible experience in a relevant position
The specific responsibility includes:
As an optomechanical lead engineer, you will work within a team of enthusiastic engineers. You will be able to contribute to the product development from the concept design up to the final design, including testing and all project stages in between, including proper documenting the design.
You have insight into other disciplines and use them to optimize the opto-mechanical designs to be part of larger system, involving many different disciplines, like electronics, software, communication, etc.
You will be part of the complete design cycle; from when the initial specification comes in until the product is delivered to the customer. Together with your colleagues, you will find the best solution for both existing and new customers of AAC Clyde Space.
For example, you will:
- Translate customer requirements into clear technical specifications
- Perform feasibility studies for optomechanical systems
- Develop optomechanical systems on a detailed level
- Cooperate with both internal as external partners for either R&D and manufacturing
- Develop written technical proposals including technical solutions, costs and schedule for internal as well external customers according to their needs and requirements
- Interact with the technical and operational team, to match the products and services to the customer requests
- Take responsibility for the design, the product development and product delivery to the customer.
There will be opportunities to visit international conferences, give presentations at relevant conferences and publish your work in relevant media.
To make sure you receive a great start to learn all about the company, the technology and the products you will complete an introductory program. You will also be supported daily, mainly by colleagues in a similar role as you.
- Ability to manage time effectively, dealing with multiple activities at the same time
- Systems engineering or project management knowledge
- Understanding of system level consideration of optomechanical instruments
- Experience in design of precision mechanics with knowledge of design principles
- Experience in the design of optomechanical constructions
- Experience in the AIT of optomechanical instruments
- Design for Manufacturing (DfM)
- Understanding the space environment
- Experience in optomechanical design
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues and customers to elicit requirements and manage expectations
- Ability to work autonomously
- Professional and positive approach
- Team player, and able to work on own initiative
This position is available to fill immediately, so applicants are encouraged to reply promptly.
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click on the Link to see our job applicant privacy notice.
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in the EU before you start work. AAC Clyde Space are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please note that if you have not heard anything from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, your application has on this occasion been unsuccessful. You will be sent an email by our recruitment team acknowledging receipt of your application and we would welcome that you follow up with them for feedback.
Closing date 6 July