Senior Mechanical Engineer
ABOUT AAC CLYDE SPACE
The group AAC Clyde Space offers turnkey solutions and services from mission design to on-orbit operations, including reliable customizable satellite platforms in the range of 1 to 50 Kg and a full range of subsystems for cube and small satellites. With unrivalled flight heritage and end-to-end service, AAC Clyde Space enables customers to reach their mission goals through a single, trusted point of contact.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
The primary focus of this role is to be a technical lead for the mechanical and thermal design of a variety of cubesat projects, including flight hardware, ground support and test equipment. As the mechanical engineer on a cubesat mission, you are responsible for liaising with the other functions within the wider team, bringing their requirements together and ensuring the design is appropriate in terms of structural and thermal suitability, manufacturability and on-orbit performance. This will involve design of components such as structures, deployable mechanisms, and thermal components.
This will involve CAD (SolidWorks), generation of manufacturing data packs, engineering drawings, mechanical analyses using FEA, hand calculations and other means (vibration, modal, etc.), thermal analyses. You will be expected to verify your design and simulations by correlation to test, where you will be required to aid in the test definition, and interpret the output of the tests.
You will be expected to display good mentorship, and strong work package management. You will work as part of a wider team, and contribute to other projects regularly, but will be expected to own your own projects from concept to launch with the support of others, where needed.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a Mechanical or Aerospace engineer with 3-6 years of industrial experience in the space, new-space or closely aligned fields, though applications from outside these areas are encouraged if the candidate can demonstrate an applicable skill set or experience. The candidate will have an eye for detail, and a broad experience is more valuable than deep specific knowledge, due to the multi-faceted nature of such a design.
Applicants should have good understanding of standard design practices and principles, and an ability to communicate well with the team leader and project managers, and be flexible enough to adapt to changing situations. The applicant will have strong technical writing capability, and professional and friendly interpersonal skills. The applicant should be a strong team player, keen to both learn, and pass on their own knowledge where appropriate. They will possess good time management skills and be able to work autonomously when needed, able to hit deadlines across multiple projects in parallel.
They will be willing to work flexibly and apply themselves to problems outside their core competency if required.
- BEng(Hons) or higher in Mechanical Engineering or closely related subject, or equivalent experience.
- Strong and demonstrable experience in SolidWorks, SolidWorks Simulation in thermal or mechanical areas.
- Comprehensive understanding of design-for-manufacture best practises, manufacturing processes and the practicalities of each.
- High competency in generation of engineering drawings.
- Strong background in Finite Element Analysis.
- Practical engineering skills, to aid AIVT teams where required.
Nice to have’s
- Experience in development of components for use in vacuum, especially spacecraft hardware.
- Working experience of ESATAN-TMS for thermal modelling.
- Experience of planning and carrying out verification testing in terms of vibration and thermal environments.
- Knowledge of ECSS/NASA technical standards.
- Understanding of EMC concerns, and design for the radiation environment.
- Understanding of PCB design and manufacturing processes.
- Active knowledge of the global space industry.
- 3D CAD - SolidWorks is preferable, ability to adapt to new tools is acceptable.
- Good knowledge of Excel.
- Thermal modelling - ESATAN-TMS is preferable, but ability to adapt would be acceptable.
- Working knowledge of Matlab/Scilab/Octave would be beneficial.
This position is available to fill immediately, so applicants are encouraged to reply promptly.
As part of our recruitment process, we collect and process personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use this data, please click on the Link to see our job applicant privacy notice.
AAC Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the EU. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to AAC Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in the EU before you start work. AAC Clyde Space are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please note that if you have not heard anything from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, your application has on this occasion been unsuccessful. You will be sent an email by our recruitment team acknowledging receipt of your application and we would welcome that you follow up with them for feedback.
Closing date 28th of May 2021